Prayer Flag Swap-Lenna's Creative Swaps

Thursday, September 6, 2012


I joined Lenna's Prayer Flag Swap.  My three flags are ready to be sent.  Here is what I did.
First, the prayer flags didn't need to be a religious statement, but they needed a word of encouragement or thought.  The first thing that came to my mind was Sadako of  A Thousand Paper Cranes.  We read this book each year in my 5th grade reading class.  Sadako is dying from radiation poisoning from the bombs dropped on Hiroshima.  One year we made paper cranes and sent 1,000 to the Sadako shrine in Japan.  Read more about it here:  http://www.fantasticjapan.com/sadako-sasaki.html   I knew this saying from Sadako was perfect for my flags.
 Cut up a white linen napkin, taped to regular white computer paper and ran it though my printer.  This was new for me, so I was happy to learn the process.


 Red  (a power color) cotton fabric cut slightly bigger than necessary.  Had fun making swirls and stars using Lumiere paints by Jacquard.
Stamped with StazOn.  Stamped on red cloth and the white napkin.  Used separate letters to stamp PEACE and FLY.  Positioned white table napkin and turned over flap.  Used blue ribbon and sewed across the top.  Added torn pieces from side pieces I had to cut off because the back piece was too big ( suppose to be 5" x 8"). I wanted it to catch the wind.   Added pony beads, shell, and feathers.
Each one is a little bit different.


 One more for Lenna with a little guardian angel pin that belonged to my mother and a feather some bird gifted me today..  Had to pass them on.  Now I have to finish my two flags that go to my MailArt buds, Leslie and Jewels.  Great swap!  Can't wait to see what flags I get in return.  To see the beautiful flags go to:

1 comment:

  1. These are wonderful B and what a source of inspiration - well done. J

    ReplyDelete